WBI presenter Elaine O’Brien, PhD, MAPP, has released her new book, The Power of Play: Optimize Your Joy Potential, co-authored with Andrea Seydel, BA, PPP, ERYT. The book explores how igniting joy and uplifting experiences through the power of play can transform your life, help you through challenging times, and even lead you on a path to appreciation and great fulfillment. Enjoy the following excerpts from The Power of Play.
Play with the Power of Your Mind
You have the power to play with your thoughts and daydreams to rehearse what your heart desires and to even evoke feelings of joy! Mindpower, or the power of thoughts, is one of the strongest tools you can cultivate and use to enhance your well-being. “Playing” with meditation, visualization, imagery, and daydreaming can harness your well-being along with your imagination. Try some of these mindful activities to boost your intentionality and optimize your joy potential.
- Spa Party: Transform your space into a healing place or sanctuary. Perform some rituals of self- care. Perhaps diffuse some essential oil, draw a bubble bath, put on a face mask, and play soft music.
- Take a Mindful Walk: The challenge is to walk for 20 minutes in nature. Pump your legs and arms, and stride with intention. Notice the beauty of nature.
- Senses Walk: Take a walk each day, focusing on a particular sense. One day you can focus on what you see, another day you can focus on what you hear, smell, or touch!
- Strength-Finding Goggles: For the entire day try to spot your own strengths in action.
- Prioritize Relaxation: Start a list of calming and relaxing things that work well for you. Creatively, build it into your schedule.
Play Every Day: Turn the Mundane Into the Magnificent:
Sometimes life can feel dull, or ordinary while you perform the commonplace concerns of your day-to-day life. However, how you spend your days is how you spend your life. Creating micro-moments of novelty and play to spark joy can be exceptionally empowering, energizing, and fun. One way to “embrace the mundane” is to hone your observational skills and train the mind to stay in the present. Here are awesome ways to turn the mundane into magical moments to enjoy.
- Sing as You Do Chores: Turn up the volume on your favorite songs and sing along as you do chores.
- Build Rituals Into Difficult Tasks: Maybe you do some yoga, meditate, or blend a smoothie prior to large projects or working blocks.
- Try Gamification: Take a moment to think about how you can turn your mundane tasks into a game.
- Pocket Book Diary: Be a detective. Observe and capture the mundane and see it through the lens of mindfulness and observation.
- Short, Fast Bursts: Next time you have a task to do, and it’s been lingering, set a timer and attack it in short, fast bursts.
Find out more about the book and co-authors at elaineobrienphd.com/power-of-play.
Elaine O’Brien, PhD, MAPP, is an educator, trainer, program designer, producer, writer, presenter, and pioneer in health/fitness promotion, positive aging, positive exercise, and the art and science of positive psychology and human movement. Elaine is creative director/CEO of Lifestyle Medicine Coaching & Training, a consultancy, and FitDance: Move2Love, delivering positive community/group exercise programming and training protocols to help boost exercise safety standards, motivation, adherence, enjoyment, whole health, and well-being. Elaine has offered training programs and consultation throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Sweden, United Kingdom, Korea, and China, working with governments, universities, and companies to bring people together and to inspire celebratory learning, best practices, and optimal experiences. She has also taught at the University of Pennsylvania, Rutgers, and the University of the Sciences. Her mission is to elevate, educate, and help move people toward positive health, greater whole well-being, and more love.
Andrea Seydel, BA, PPP, ERYT, is a seven-time best-selling author and the visionary behind Live Life Happy Publishing. With over 20 years in the industry, Andrea’s impact extends through her publishing company and top-ranked podcasts. Fondly known as The Book Doula, she has guided countless coaches, psychology experts, and entrepreneurs in bringing their book ideas to life. Whether illuminating the path for aspiring authors or providing unwavering support, Andrea navigates entrepreneurs through the labyrinth of doubt, perfectionism, and time constraints. Her fun guidance and expertise create momentum, propelling writers towards their dreams and a fulfilling life. Find out more at andreaseydel.com.